Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Crème Brûlée French Toast

Pin It
So let's "toast" to the new year with some Crème brûlée french toast!

Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

 Crème Brûlée French Toast

Toasts
1 loaf unsliced white bread, brioche or rich bread of your choice (as long as it's thick and not too soft)
1 1/3 cups 2% or whole milk
2/3 cup half and half cream
4 large eggs
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt or table salt
1/4 teaspoon orange zest
1 vanilla bean or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tsp Cinnamon Sugar

Topping
2/3 cup granulated sugar


 For Toast:
Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
Beat.
Pour custard over the tops of bread.
Let soak for 15 minutes on each side (at least a half hour total or leave in fridge overnight)
 Preheat oven to 325 Degrees
 Place soaked slices on a tray lined with parchment paper
Bake 30-35 minutes, flipping halfway through.
 

For topping: 
(Start this when toast is 2/4 way done)
Place 2/3 cup DRY sugar in a small saucepan.
Stir continuously until sugar until brown and thin.
Once Sugar is melted...
Pour over the tops of the toast.

(Tip: Make sure you use a solid bread.. if it's too soft it will be bread-pudding like consistency with a crunchy topping.) 
Enjoy.

How was your New Years?
What were you thankful for lately?

I'm grateful to be able to have a meal like this...
and meals I don't deserve.

I'm thankful for so many fun times...
  
















For my legs that allow me to Ski out west.  (The company isn't too bad either *wink) 
 





For family.

For my health.
I'm thankful for...this guy.
And for my Nespresso Machine, which makes me delicious lattes.

What are you grateful for?
  

8 comments:

  1. Pinned it! LOVE! Thank so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I love breakfast food. This is definitely going on my list, it looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! This looks like dessert. Looks really yummy and thank you for the recipe.

    We may have met by chance...but we become friends by choice.
    http://simpleesue.com/pa-dutch-new-years-day-pork-sauerkraut

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious. I have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop and would love to have you share this and any other posts with everyone. It runs from Wednesday through midnight Sunday. Here is the link to the party.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2013/01/week-in-review-and-wednesdays-adorned.html
    Debi @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy looking recipe! I just saw you over at Someday Crafts Link Party and I'm glad you posted there!

    Shauna {The Best Blog Recipes}
    http://thebestblogrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM! I'm pinning this so I can make it for my hubby :) Thanks for linking up at Well Crafted Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great spin on french toast. Thanks very much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM!! That french toast looks DIVINE!!!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...